You know how when, one by one, everyone in your family is succumbing to a cold, but you are still sitting pretty, you start thinking to yourself, " Yea, with my totally superior immune system, I'm just not catching this baby." But then, in the back of your mind, you are also thinking, "this sucks, I know I'm getting it next." Welcome to my world. Parker felt sick on Monday, Brandon on Tuesday, Chad on Thursday, and I just starting feeling the tell-tale scratchy throat. I went for a long-ish bike ride during the boy's quiet time, and as soon as I stepped off, I could tell that I was about to fall prey to the dreaded but obligatory, start of the school year cold.
So, I would like to share my latest pet peeve... the rampant overuse of the ribbon car sticker. You know, like the yellow ribbon people put on their car to show support for the troops... that has some serious historical precedence with the whole tie a yellow ribbon around the old oak tree thing going for it. Then (and I may be wrong on the chronological order of when these became car stickers), we added the red AIDS ribbon. I'm still okay with those. Then, you add the pink breast cancer sticker. I'm still on board. But, I've noticed lately that the whole fad has just gone completely out of control. Yesterday, I was at a stoplight behind a car with a ribbon on it to support Downs Syndrome. Then, I look over at the car next to it... I see a ribbon for Food Allergies. I kid you not. Food allergies has its own ribbon. Aren't we getting a little over the top here? Are their ADHD ribbons? Anorexia/Bulemia ribbons (that one is puke green)? I'm planning on adding one to my car that is for people with gum recession. Hey, it's a serious issue facing many people of my generation who had braces, which often causes gum recession. I want people to see my car and know that they are not alone out there in their fight with these often inconvenient periodontal conditions.
We had a great week and now we are enjoying a great weekend. We have used the grill three times since Wednesday, so that has been a nice addition to our little family. After Brandon's soccer practice this morning, Chad came home and grilled us all lunch. That's what I'm talking about, my friends.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment