We had Brandon's birthday party yesterday afternoon - what fun! My friend Sheri-Lynne lent us her bouncy house and that was definitely the hit of the party. The bean-bag toss, sand box, and t-ball stand got a bit of use, but by and large, it was all bouncy house, all the time. It was a nice, relaxed little party with snacks and cupcakes (I was very proud of my cupcakes that looked like ice cream cones, thank you very much) and that's about it. One thing I did notice about Brandon turning the big "5" is that he was fixated upon his presents like never before! Must be an age thing because neither of my kids has ever shown undue interest in their gifts. We set them out a couple of days before on the dining room table and although they may eye them with pleasure, they never really talked about them too much or anything. Not so much this year, as Brandon couldn't stop talking about his gifts all day long! I gave in around 10am and let him open the one from his Grandma & Grandpa, and at least that cooled him down for a while! Still, all day he kept bringing them up all day long. And when I asked him what his favorite part of the party was, he said the gifts. I'm pretty sure that last year he said the cupcakes. I guess it won't be too long before I catch him trying to unwrap corners of his Christmas presents under the tree!
So, happy, happy birthday to my beloved Brandon-Bear, a few days early! I'm so proud of what a great little boy he is! It's been such a joy seeing him grow and learn new things and develop his personality. I count my lucky stars every day for my amazing kids and husband.
Finally, how's about another book review? I just finished "The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder" by Rebecca Wells. She is the author if "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood," which I remember really enjoying. This one... not so much. I mean, I read it, and it held my interest, but the whole thing felt super saccarine sweet. In fact, I told Chad that the one word I would use to describe it is, "cheesy". Everyone in the book is super loving and caring and supportive ALL THE TIME. Even the men are extremely communicative about their feelings and not afraid to show/talk about their love for others in the community. It felt like a bit much and made the characters feel sort of one-dimensional. I couldn't relate to the main character's life or relationships at all. I mean, a few bad things happen to the main character, but it's sort of like, she has a perfect relationship all the time with someone, then they die, she is sad for a while and then she snaps out of it and moves on to another perfect relationship. No fighting, no bickering, nothing, ever. Felt a bit unrealistic, to say the least. I recommend passing on it.
It's Friday night! I'm getting off this computer to spend a bit of time with my Chad before going to bed... got a big workout planned for 5am. Good times.
No comments:
Post a Comment