Saturday, April 25, 2009

Super Saturday






We had the best weather today! 80's, sunny and no humidity... it actually felt hot, but I wasn't complaining! I got out in the morning for a ride and then a run, and it was just lovely, although I was beat by the end. Chad had some yard work to do, fixing a sprinkler head, so the boys and I had a relaxed morning, playing in the yard for about 3 hours. In the afternoon, Brandon had his first week of spring soccer! Love watching the kids run around. It was especially nice for Brandon today, as one of his good friends, Sophie, was on his team - she's the daughter of my friend Ellen. They would run off to the side together for water breaks and then say, "let's go!" and run back on the field. Very cute. After soccer we had Ellen and the whole family back to our house for dinner. I have to say that we had what would pretty much be my ideal meal on a hot day... we grilled veggie burgers, and then I made some different salads... one was white bean and tomatoes with a lemony dressing; one was a cabbage, carrot, cilantro with an asian dressing; one was mixed berries; one was Caesar salad (that, of course, was in honor of my Chad - had to have a salad that was primarily just lettuce for him). It was all so yummy. I think I had three helpings of the cabbage salad because I'm pretty much a sucker for anything with an asian twist to it. Good meal to make for company, too, because I was able to make everything the night before and just pull it out at dinnertime.
The only downside to all the great weather is getting back in the sunscreen habit again!! I just slap it on when I get out of the shower in the morning, instead of my usual moisterizer, but with the boys, it's a bit more of a challenge. They are pretty much okay with everything except the face, when they twist around so much that it's a wonder it all doesn't just end up in their hair. And I had to do multiple applications today - what a pain. At least they don't run away and hide anymore when I pull out the sunscreen, so we are making progress!
Tomorrow is going to be in the 80's again, so we are thinking of some sweet mini-golf action. I'm also toying with the notion of my first open water swim of the season, but not sure if I'm brave enough yet!!
On a totally different note, does anyone find this whole pandemic thing as freaky as I do? I think if they stopped calling it a pandemic and stopped having so many ominous quotes from the CDC in the news, I would feel less anxious about the whole thing. Just as long as the kids don't get sick - knock on wood, we've had such good luck this winter!

No comments: