Parker and I had a couple friends bail on us this morning (we are trying not to take it personally), so we decided to TCOB and run some errands... got a birthday present for a party this weekend and picked out new books at the library. Plus, I needed more dental floss, not that it will apparently stop me from getting cavities; yet still I continue with the charade. It was kind of a nice morning actually - to just sort of be leisurely and hang out with Parker alone.
Yesterday, we had a great time... we met a few friends at an open gym time at a local gymnastics academy. It was such a blast - I had almost as much fun as the kids. This place had multiple trampolines and a huge foam pit with rope swings over it and a trapeze (the trapeze was my favorite part). There was also all kinds of gymnastics equipment - bars and rings and balance beams and such, plus they had a younger kid area with slides and an obstacle course. I loved it, and the kids got to expend alot of energy! After that, we stopped at a different Costco than our normal one and took advantage of the slightly different selection there... cans of black beans! Heart to Heart cereal! Whohoo! By the time we got home, it was around 3pm, so the kids did a shortened quiet time, and our day was pretty much over. I took advantage of all those cans of black beans and made black bean soup for dinner, with a loaf of bread from the breadmaker - yum! I ate way too much though - I don't know what got into me. The good news was that I had plenty of energy for my spin class this morning.
I finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" a few days ago - definitely liked it. I have a feeling that I will remember it for a long time, which is the mark of a good book for me, if it stays with me. It was really well-written. After that I read "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society".

I enjoyed it. The whole book is told through letters and telegrams between the main characters, so it definitely makes for a quick read. I kept finding myself thinking, "okay, I'll just read this next letter and then stop," but I would just end up reading pages and pages more. I'd probably give it 4 stars on my exacting Beth scale. Only 4 because it was a bit predictable, but I did like some of the background info on the German occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII, and I enjoyed the main character, Juliet. I am officially out of books right now... I only have one more book still on reserve and goodness knows when that will come in. I'll just have to catch up on my pile of magazines and then start pulling some old favorites from my shelves. I'm thinking of a classic, Vanity Fair perhaps or something by Edith Wharton.
No comments:
Post a Comment