Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Wake me up when it's spring

Another day, another complaining blog update from me about the weather this month. We are just starting to emerge from the artic chill that has enveloped us for the last 3 days. That's right, we are in the 20's today - yahoo! Monday morning I wake up and it's -4. Okay, not that unusual. I leave to take Parker to school a bit before 9am, and it's -2. Well, that's a little weird for it to still be so cold several hours after sunrise. I get out of the gym around 11am, and the temperature is 0 degrees. Say what??!! That is a cold day, my friends. It wears on me, psychologically, to feel so cold all the time! Even though our house is always the same temperature, I can't help but throw on extra clothes. Like right now, I am wearing slippers over my socks and a fleece vest over my sweater. And, as the icing on the cake, we also got another couple inches of snow this morning. Just for fun.

And remember I mentioned a certain noreaster that was on its way to us? We are looking at 10 - 15 inches from Wednesday afternoon until Thursday afternoon. I seriously don't know where we will put more snow. The good news is that I'm guessing that both boys will have school on Wednesday with no problems, but that we might have a snow day on Thursday. Which is okay because Parker is with me on those days anyway. In fact, it might be fun to have Brandon home, too. And the storm seems like it will be over in time for Chad's flight to get in okay Thursday night. Fingers crossed on that one.

In other news, I registered my little Parker Peanut for kindergarten this morning!! My baby, in kindergarten. It's hard for me to fathom. Our town offers half-day kindergarten or full-day, for a fee. The towns around are split - some are mandatory and free full-day for everyone and some are like our town - you have a choice between half or full-day, but you have to shell out for the full-day. Anyway, our town has typically been about 50/50, with half the kids doing half-day and half doing the full-day. But, when I was looking at sign-ups this morning, there was only 1 child, of about 15 that had registered so far, that had selected half-day. I don't know if it was a statistical anomaly or if the pendulum has really swung toward full-day, but it does seem like everyone I know is selecting full-day. Which we are, too, by the way. Brandon did fine with half-day, but I feel like he was almost never there! The day is only 2.5 hours to begin with, shorter than preschool, and anytime there is a early release day or a delayed start, Brandon's class was canceled. It was rare when he would actually go to school all 5 days in a week! But beyond that, I think Parker will love full-day - having recess every day, eating lunch with his friends - he's going to dig it. I will miss him desperately, but it also allows me to start thinking about part-time work.

So, one day down and four to go of Chad being out of town. I missed him last night - seemed so quiet in our house when the kids went to bed. And it's lonely going to bed by myself. I read for most of the evening, except for the hour when I did my weighlifting and such. Luckily, right before Chad left, I got a message from the library that 5 books I reserved were waiting for me, and I just got another message that I have an e-book ready to check out. That's 6 books in 2.5 weeks, so that should keep me busy for a bit. Of course, some would say that I am slightly obsessive when I have a book in my hands, so I already read 2 of them in the last 3 days. I cannot resist the allure of a good book!

I must wrap this up, as Parker and I have a date to play "War" and "Sorry". Man, I hate playing "War", but I will put a smile on my face and do it because my baby is going to be in kindergarten next year!

No comments: