Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow Day!

We had the first snow day of the season yesterday - no school! In another six weeks, I'd probably be annoyed by a snow day, but the first one is always so exciting - makes me feel like a kid again! And this storm was kind of a no-brainer for cancelling school... the brunt of the blizzard hit between 4am and 9am and then the snow didn't stop until last night. In fact, the roads were so bad that the kids actually had a delayed start today, as well. We got something around 15 - 20 inches total. Thank goodness for that snow blower I got Chad for Christmas!

Anyway, I decided that we were going to make the most of our snow day and have some fun! The kids and I made a list of things we wanted to do with the day, and we hit the vast majority of them... we made a big breakfast (blueberry scones, scrambled eggs and turkey bacon), played board games (Sorry and Scrabble Junior), did a jigsaw puzzle, rebuilt all of Parker's Batman-themed Trio toys that he got for Christmas, went sledding, built a snowman, had hot chocolate (I made it from scratch for the first time ever! Not that it's complicated - just cocoa powder, sugar, milk and a little cinnamon, but it was SO GOOD!), played with our Xbox Kinect, and then I made a big dinner of chicken and white bean chili with homemade bread. What a fun day! Things that were on the list that did not get done included cleaning the bathrooms (some how I let that one slip through the cracks) and updating this blog. I have to say that it felt really good to just totally give myself to the kids all day - besides when I was cooking, I was playing with them constantly. I couldn't do that everyday - because the house would be a disaster and I'd be exhausted by their endless energy - but it was great for a snow day to spend it wholeheartedly with the kids.

Poor Chad - he worked from home yesterday, as did about everyone in the state, but we barely even knew he was in the house. His first meeting of the day started at 7:30am and his last one started at 8pm. A long day. He did break for dinner and to read to the boys before bed, but besides that he was chained to his desk in the basement. But, I'm very thankful that he was able to work from home, as I'm sure the commute, even on the train, would have been a nightmare. Not to mention the crazy winds and blinding snow for the walk.

Chad and I have been watching Season 3 of The Tudors. I know I've written about it before, but I love that show! Chad and I get it from the library, so there's always like a 6 month delay between seasons while we wait to move to the front of the reserve list. But, it's always worth the wait. Love it. I'm so fascinated by Tudor/Plantagenet history - really makes me want to go back to London soon. I really want to take the boys there and show them all the fascinating historical sites, but I may have to give them a few more years before they can appreciate it. Someday though.

No comments: