Happy spring everyone! I remember that last year, it was really nasty out on the first day of spring, but this year was the exact opposite... sunny and in the 70's! Such a gift to have a day like that in March, and actually, we've had a few in a row. We took advantage of the glorious weather by going hiking in the morning - so nice to be out in shorts and t-shirts! I have to give major props to Parker for that hike yesterday. The boys and I have had colds/coughs this week, and Parker had a really rough night Friday night. He was coughing so hard that he threw up multiple times... I think once around 1:30am all over his blankets and around 3:30am in the bathroom (and partially on my shoulder). He ate only a few bites of breakfast Saturday morning and STILL did an awesome job on the hike. I was prepared to stay down at the bottom with him while Chad and Brandon hiked up or to have to turnaround part-way, but Parker really impressed me with his persistence.
After the hike, we had a picnic lunch in our backyard, and then I went out for my longest bike ride ever... 50 miles!! I felt really good, too. I mean, I was ready to be finished, but I definitely could have gone longer if necessary. It took me about 2 hours and 50 minutes, so I'm hoping to do the 58 mile ride in my half-ironman at around 3 hours or so. I think part of why I felt so good was because it was so darn nice outside! I always feel better when I'm out exercising, and I don't have to be all bundled up - so much more comfortable. While I was out on my bike for most of the afternoon, Chad took the boys on their second hike of the day... we couldn't get enough of the outside! And of course, we followed it all up with grilling out on the back deck... it's quick and yummy and I don't have to worry about getting home to cook - win-win. After the kids went to bed, Chad and I popped some popcorn and watched "Up in the Air". I liked it, but it was not exactly uplifting! Not as bad as "Precious" or anything, but still kind of a downer because I grew to like the main character and things just didn't look good for him in the end.
After the hike, we had a picnic lunch in our backyard, and then I went out for my longest bike ride ever... 50 miles!! I felt really good, too. I mean, I was ready to be finished, but I definitely could have gone longer if necessary. It took me about 2 hours and 50 minutes, so I'm hoping to do the 58 mile ride in my half-ironman at around 3 hours or so. I think part of why I felt so good was because it was so darn nice outside! I always feel better when I'm out exercising, and I don't have to be all bundled up - so much more comfortable. While I was out on my bike for most of the afternoon, Chad took the boys on their second hike of the day... we couldn't get enough of the outside! And of course, we followed it all up with grilling out on the back deck... it's quick and yummy and I don't have to worry about getting home to cook - win-win. After the kids went to bed, Chad and I popped some popcorn and watched "Up in the Air". I liked it, but it was not exactly uplifting! Not as bad as "Precious" or anything, but still kind of a downer because I grew to like the main character and things just didn't look good for him in the end.
Yesterday couldn't have been much better! I will say though, that with all this good weather this week, I'm finding it hard to get anything done! The kids and I want to be outside all the time, so they've barely had any "quiet time" all week. Which is fine, except that that's my time to get things accomplished around the house and on the computer! Also, Brandon is really, really excited about reading for the last couple weeks. So, 3 or so times a day, he brings me books to read to me... I love it!! Such a thrill to see him learning to read, something I am so passionate about. Anyway, I will drop anything to have him read to me, but again, it does add to my feeling of just not having enough time in the day lately! Plus, I've been getting ready for Easter and Parker's birthday and upping my training, and boy, can I repeat that there are just not enough hours in the day??!! I guess that's a good problem to have - too many fun things to choose from each day! For example, I couldn't find time to get to the library all week, so we finally ended up going Friday afternoon after lunch. But, it was sooooo nice out that we decided to walk... which was so fun but took us over 2 hours round trip (including picking out new books)... it's about 2.5 miles round trip, but we definitely go slowly so that we can discuss everything around us and do some train-watching. Contrast that with in the winter, when we would drive and spend perhaps 45 minutes all together on the trip. So, by the time we get home, most of the afternoon is gone! Plus, we've started meeting Chad's train again in the afternoons, so I've been spending most of the boys' "quiet time" working on dinner, so that when we get home from the train station around 5:30pm, I can just put the finishing touches on it. Anyway, this will be my only ever complaint about nice weather... not enough time to do stuff in the house. But, I'll still take the nice weather!
Chad left right after breakfast to play some frisbee golf, so the boys and I are going to play out in the backyard and go for a walk. And there's talk of going out for ice cream after lunch - whohoo! Happy spring!
No comments:
Post a Comment