Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Drying Out

We are experiencing some gorgeous weather today, as if to make up for the misery of last weekend! I'm not exaggerating when I say that I have not yet talked to one person who did not have some sort of water in their house by Monday night. Anyway, with temps hitting the 60's and very sunny the last two days, things are starting to dry out. Our garage is now almost entirely dry and the corner of our basement that had some seepage is looking pretty good, too. The roads are still a bit of a mess though.

I actually had a scary moment on the way to the gym this morning. It was a bit after 5am, and the temperature was still only 28 degrees... which means that all that water on the roads was icing over. I went through this patch of flooded area on a road and saw in front of me that two trucks (one on each side of the road) were skidding out on ice and turning sideways, blocking the road. Luckily, there aren't many cars on the roads at that time of the day because my brakes couldn't catch very well on the ice. I was sort of skidding along towards the car stopped in front of me, and I really thought for a moment that I was going to run right into its back, but I swerved a bit to the side and managed to stop with 4 or 5 feet to spare. Then, I started looking in the rearview mirror, thinking that someone might slam into me! So, I put on my hazards and hoped for the best. It all turned out fine, and the trucks managed to get going again and open up the road within a couple minutes. But, boy was it scary to not be able to stop! My neighbor told me that she heard an accident at that spot about around 6:30am. I was telling Chad about this when I got home (taking the most round-about way to avoid the crazy traffic jam that now backed up around this flooded and icy spot), and he was like, "Did you really have to go to the gym so bad that you put yourself through this??!!" But, I didn't know the roads would be so slippery! I mean, it was 68 degrees by lunchtime, so who's expecting ice on the roads??!!

I volunteering in Brandon's classroom again tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to... but also fairly bummed that I can't use my "free" morning to get out on my bike on another gorgeous day. I'll have to bide my time until Saturday because as mentioned above, it is still quite cold and very dark around 5am when I typically have to be out. But, I just love getting to see Brandon in his classroom and getting to know his classmates a bit. Hope I can always make time to help out in his classroom, even when I start working again.

No comments: