Before I forget, I have to write about a few books I've read lately. The first one is called "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova, and it was sooooo good! It's about a Harvard professor who is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's. It's gotten rave reviews, and it tooks me months to get it through the hold list at my library, but it was so worth the wait. I could have read this book in one sitting, easily, if I ever had that big a chunk of time to myself! As it was, I read it in two days. Obviously, it wasn't the most uplifting book in the world, as you have a up close and personal view of someone pretty much losing their mind. But, it was terribly engrossing and extremely well-written. I highly recommend it.
I also read "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas. I also really enjoyed this. It took place in 19th century/early 20th century Colorado, in a gold-mining town and reflects upon the life of a pioneer woman, now in her 80's... the husbands she's had, the people she's known, the places she's seen. It was highly entertaining and engaging, and I always love books that transport me to another era or land. I felt like I was learning a little something while I was reading this.
The third book I just finished is called "July & August" by Nancy Clark. The books follows a year in the life of a New England family, with all their quirks and highs and lows. I also enjoyed this one and will probably grab some other titles by this author.
Finally, I also just read "Figures in Silk" by Vanora Bennett. This one took place in 15th century England and follows the main character, Isabel, as she makes her way as a widowed woman in the silk trade. I loved some aspects of this book - loved how I felt transported to 15thc London and Westminster, loved the relationships between the woman in the book. But, I also felt it fell short a bit when it got entangled in royal politics. I couldn't tell if this book wanted to be a fictional retelling of Henry VI's mistresses and Richard's reign, or if it wanted to be a book about the silk trade in England, or if it wanted to use all these backdrops towards a theme of female empowerment. That being said, I still read it in something like three days. So, even if it was a bit all over the place on what it was trying to accomplish, it was still enjoyable, even with its flaws.
I've got a couple new ones on my nightstand, so I've got to get crackin'!
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment