Friday, January 23, 2009

Gainfully Employed

The layoffs at Chad's office were yesterday... as predicted, my superstar husband was safe! But, slightly more than half his team was not so lucky. I feel so bad for those folks, almost all of whom I knew. On the plus side, the severance package was very, very impressive. I'm very relieved that we don't have to feel stressed about impeding layoffs anymore. 

Just doing the usual this week - went to the library, the Children's Museum, Parker's gym class, the Costco... oh, speaking of which. There was a nasty, mean-spirited rumor going around that the Costco was stopping free samples of food as of January 1st. Thank goodness that has proven to be false! Yowsa, the whole reason the kids like going with me there is because of the samples! And not to mention that I wouldn't buy half the stuff there if I hadn't tried it first. I mean, you are not going to buy 28 pounds of any item without being fairly confident you'll like it. That also reminds me of a Costco blunder I made recently... I tried to go for something new and save money, and it didn't work out so well. I decided to buy the Kirkland Signature brand contact lens solution, instead of the Alcon, because it was less than half the cost. I figured, saline is saline. Uh no. The Kirkland stuff is clearly not getting them clean over night, and I end up taking them out every afternoon because they get uncomfortable. Of course, in classic Beth fashion, I'm like, I'm not letting this saline get the best of me! I'll use all 3 bottles, even if it killls me! Hey, maybe I can buy the good stuff and then rotate nights of which I use... that way, I'll get rid of the cheap stuff and won't feel bad about wasting money on it, but I'll also get a good cleaning for my contacts every other night. Good plan! Thank goodness this blog is here to help me solve my problems.

We are doing some entertaining this weekend - having Sheri-Lynne and family over tomorrow for lunch (if their daughter is feeling better) and Rebekah and her family over on Sunday for lunch. Which means I need to get cracking on some cleaning here in the next few minutes. I don't need it to be perfect around here, but it would be nice to not have little dirty handprints around the sink and such when guests are over. Or juice from strawberries dribbled all over the floor for that matter. Or globs of paint on the dining room table. Well, you get the drift. 

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You should take the saline back if it's no good. They take ANYTHING back! I bought some ink for my printer there...I opened that horrid package they came in and took the cartridge out of its little package, just to find out in wasn't the right one. Yeah, they still took everything back, and that was like 80 bucks!

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I forgot to say, "Congrats" to Chad. Please tell him. Love ya!