I can't remember any winter when we've had this many school days canceled because of snow. Granted, I've only had kids in the school system for 4 years, but this is certainly an exceptional year of those 4! Yesterday, the kids actually had an early release day, but I have to say that I really think they should have canceled. Parker and I went out to run errands even though it was snowing pretty hard because I figured, "hey, the kids are in school, so they must be pretty on top of the plowing so that the buses can get them home for an early release." Umm, not so much. I've never driven on roads that were so slippery before... the car would start to slide just going around a slight curve on a main road. Luckily, Parker and I didn't have any major problems. But, I just knew that the buses were going to be sliding and would be running super late. So, Parker and I spontaneously showed up at Brandon's school on our way home and picked him up about 20 minutes before the early release time. I just felt more comfortable getting him home myself than having him waiting around forever for the bus. And sure enough, after we got home, we got a recorded message, saying that the buses were picking up kids from the school anywhere from 15 - 35 minutes late. Parker and I would have been waiting a long time out at that bus stop!!
Today, school was just straight out canceled because we got snow all morning, which then switched to freezing rain in the afternoon. And it's sleeting as I write. Now everything is covered in a glaze of ice. Good times. The boys and I had a nice day - I must admit that I really enjoy not having to rush to get the boys ready for school in the morning and knowing that we can just relax and hang out together. We had a big breakfast - eggs and cornmeal pancakes - and then I made a questionable call in introducing the boys to the wonders of the game of Monopoly. Questionable because Brandon LOVED it, and I can just tell that I have many, many days of Monopoly games ahead of me this winter. And it's not a short game, my friends. I may have created a Monopoly monster. Reminds me of when I taught him Sorry over Thankgiving, and he played something like 12 games in one day. Anyway, Parker, Brandon and I played for about 1 hour, 45 minutes before Parker had enough, but Brandon and I soldiered on to the 3 hour mark, when I made us stop. But, now he's gotten Chad involved in a game, so who knows when they'll finish??!!
Besides Monopoly, we read some stories and just kind of messed around. I did hop on the treadmill at one point for a 8 mile run. I have a little cold, and I woke up feeling really congested and heavy-headed. But, by the afternoon I felt okay to run. So, I just set the treadmill for 7.5 minute miles and ran till the 8 miles was over... just didn't have it in me to do any speed work today. Think I'm going to sleep until 5:45am or something tomorrow and do a light workout and then hopefully feel invigorated for more intense workouts Friday and Saturday.
For anyone keeping score, we are up to a bit over 80 inches of snow so far this winter. Next storm is scheduled for Saturday - something like 6 inches, so no big whoop. After that, maybe a break? Punxsutawny Phil did not see his shadow today, so spring should be here any day now.
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment