Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Almost Back, Baby

I find that if I don't blog at least once a week, I lose all interest / motivation to do so. We've done so much fun stuff the last couple weekends, but I feel like too much time has passed to rehash it all. So, I'm going to do a short update now in the hopes that it will make me feel caught up and more motivated to update again soon.



I took off a whopping six days in a row to try to bounce back from bronchitis. Well, after about 4 days, I started back up my strength-training routine because I could't stand being inactive anymore. Anyway, the first few days off felt so nice - luxurious and relaxed and easy. After that, it was all downhill, as my obsessive personality started to assert itself, and I began to worry that my massive muscles and unbelievable cardio fitness levels were atrophying. But, I have definitely still been feeling more winded than usual. I'm up to full speed at the swim and maybe even on a spin bike, but it's taking longer to get back to some fast training runs. I just get out of breath way faster than normal and my heartrate is significantly higher than normal. Today, I did 5 miles with intervals mixed in, in 26.5 minutes so that's closer to what I would typically do. But, on a day to day basis, I feel just fine now.



Feeling frustrated with my gym. I raced there after preschool drop-off this morning to get a spin class... I usually arrive maybe one minute before it starts, and there are usually a few bikes open. Today, it was all full. Nothing for me, which throws off my whole training schedule for the week. Now I have to get up at 5am tomorrow for an instructor I really don't like. In fact, I don't like most of the spin instructors... so many of them see the class as aerobics on a bike, or they just don't challenge the class enough. People like when the class is hard! Seriously. And don't get me started on some of their musical selections. Like, techno music with no words, for an hour straight, just doesn't do it for me. And the other thing about my gym is that the cardio area, home to the treadmills, is ridiculously hot. Like, you know when you are in a small car and someone has the heat cranking and there's all this hot, dry air blowing right in your face and you can almost feel the moisture being wicked away from your body? That's what the treadmill area is like. I'm hot before I even start running. People, a gym should feel a little chilly before you start working out! Anyway, I keep going there because the spin room itself is fantastic and the pool is great. But, I hate that I have to use my treadmill at home all the time - would much rather get out of the house in the morning. I know quite a few people who belong to two gyms so they can cherry-pick the best parts of each one, but that seems a bit much to me. And expensive! Needless to say, I'm counting down the days until I can be outside for all my workouts again.



One other quick update, we booked a house on the Cape for a week for next summer - a new house from the past couple years. I'm so excited!! The idea of spending a week at the beach sounds pretty, pretty, pretty good right about now.

No comments: