Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter Fun!

The kids at a local Easter egg hunt








Showing off those new markers that the Easter Bunny brought!

On the search for candy-filled eggs in the backyard



Easter day hike - my men sport matching outfits

They are the cutest!!



Any area where you can throw rocks into the water is automatically the coolest part of the hike



What a weekend!! We have had the best weather ever the last few days... 80's and no humidity and not a cloud in the sky. I have been in heaven! The boys did not have school on Friday (Good Friday, although good for us because of the weather, not for any religious reasons). So, we met two friends and their kids at the park to play and have a picnic. It was so lovely to be outside in a skirt and short sleeves and to feel the sun shining down on me! Thank goodness my friend Diane had sunscreen with her because I am just not in that mode yet, and we definitely needed it. We had a great day, just being outside almost the whole time.

Saturday was even warmer, and we headed out for a hike right after breakfast. There is this amazing Mass Audubon site not too far from our house with loads of different trails, and we tried a new one on Saturday morning. It was a bit strenuous, with lots of steep hills, but so lovely with the trail going through a gorgeous pine forest. It would have been a really nice place for a picnic on another day. Of course, we also went through a bunch of spots that were still flooded after the March rains... at one point, Chad and I each picked up a boy and carried them so their feet wouldn't get soaked. Good thing we did because my sneakers and socks were absolutely drenched. Still, it was warm out, so it wasn't a big deal to have wet feet.

That afternoon, Chad took the kids to a local Easter egg hunt, which he said was a crazy free-for-all. While he was doing that, I went out for what was supposed to be a 55-60 mile bike ride and ended up being 68 miles. I got so lost!! I was so lost that I actually called Chad on three separate occasions for directions. I had an idea of where I wanted to ride and even had a cheat sheet of street names with me... but it's hard to stay on course when there are absolutely no road signs anywhere! Most of the time, I didn't even know what town I was in at any given time... had never even been close to some of these towns before. But, my whole objective was to try a new route so that the ride wouldn't get boring, and for that, mission accomplished. But, I was gone longer than I planned and missed dinner. I felt bad being gone so long, but I now feel confident that I won't have any trouble with the 58-mile bike section of my 1/2 ironman!

Chad and I decided that since we are having all this great weather, the Easter Bunny would set up an egg hunt in the backyard, instead of in the house. So, we had fun last night, going out in the dark and hiding eggs around in our backyard... and it took them all of 90 seconds to find them all this morning! But, it was definitely fun to be running around in the backyard looking for eggs, as opposed to around 0ur family room, which is what has happened in past, colder years. The Easter Bunny left the kids some baskets, with their usual booty- a jigsaw puzzle for each boy, some summer pj's, and some new markers. We followed up all the Easter hoopla with a big breakfast and then another hike. It's really such a great time of year to go hiking because you don't have to worry about poison ivy, mosquitos, and even ticks are fairly scarce this time of year. We did another new trail at a different location, and we all had a lot of fun. I am so glad that our kids enjoy hiking as much as Chad and I do!

Well, the lasagna has been eaten, the candy has been sampled, and the colored Easter eggs have been made into egg salad... and so concludes another great Easter and a gorgeous weekend!

No comments: