Thursday, October 29, 2009

Need for Speed

This week has been my "speed week" for my workouts. I'm trying to alternate my focus every week for my workouts in the off-season, like I do during the racing season. I'm hoping that it helps keep me interested through the longer winter months. So, all week, I've done shorter workouts than normal, but tried to push the pace (with a nice side benefit that I get to sleep in a few minutes longer). This morning, I did a 4 mile run and felt like I was going pretty fast... I would guessed around 7 minute or 7:15 minute miles. I was VERY disappointed when I checked my time when I got home and saw that I had been doing just under 8 minute miles. But, my heart rate was still high. I was working harder and getting less output than normal... think this means I need a day off. I haven't taken one off in 8 days because I was trying to hold out until the weekend. So, tomorrow, I sleep in!

It's supposed to be 70+ degrees here on Saturday for Halloween - yay!! The kids are so excited, and I have to say that I am, too. I love seeing them all dressed up and excited to go trick-or-treating. Plus, we are carving our pumpkin tomorrow, which I love. Mmm, pumpkin seeds. Chad and I take turns on who gets to take the kids out, and this year is his turn. But, at least I get to see all the neighborhood kids dressed up while I give out candy. And I have first dibs on any leftovers!

With the arrival of fall and cold weather, I'm starting to feel more domestic again. I'm trying out three new recipes this week. Monday, I did a chicken, lemon, dill, feta and orzo casserole that had a Greek flavor to it. I really liked it, Parker and Chad thought it was edible, and Brandon was not a fan. Tuesday night I did a spinach, bacon, potato and ricotta frittatta for a little upscale brinner action. This time, Chad and I thought it was okay, Brandon didn't like it, but Parker LOVED it! He said it was the best thing he'd ever eaten, and he ate all the leftovers the next day for lunch. Apparently, he's a frittatta man. Anyway, I'm trying a Chinese-style cashew chicken tomorrow night, and I'm anticipating that everyone will like that. I have a few Chinese recipes that always go over well, and I like better than restaurant's dishes because they are not so darn greasy.

I'll try to post Halloween photos on Sunday...

No comments: