- The True Story of Hansel & Gretel by Louise Murphy. I loved this book. It's the story of a small town in Poland, trying to get through the German occupation of WWII. Two little Jewish children on the run stumble upon the town, take on the names Hansel and Gretel (apparently, solid German names), and try to survive through the war. I found this book fascinating, touching and a quick read.
- That Old Cape Magic by Richard Russo. I absolutely love Richard Russo's books, which is why I was so disappointed by this one, his newest. The story of a middle-aged couple going through the dissolution of their marriage just didn't do it for me. I mean, the book was well-written and had some interesting moments, but overall, I just couldn't connect with any of the characters. Bummer, as I waited months to get this off the "holds" list at the library.
- Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson. This is a first novel and definitely felt like one. It was just a bit rough around the edges and felt like it could have been developed more in some places. The story follows a young woman who moves to a small town in Sweden to get over the death of her fiancee. She strikes up what becomes a deep friendship with the elderly and reclusive woman who lives beside her. I liked it okay.
- Homer & Langley by E.L.Doctorow. This was a very interesting book. Based loosely on two brothers who lived in New York City in the early 20th century and how they slowly came unraveled. I enjoyed it, although it didn't move me deeply or anything.
- The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. Atwood is another of my favorite authors, and this book just kept the flame alive in my heart. Amazing, fascinating, spell-binding book... it takes place in the future and jumps back and forth to the before and after of a catastrophic epidemic that wipes out much of the population. Atwood fills the book with all sorts of loveable and deplorable characters, and I was completely enthralled by all the inventions she placed in her future world. I did not want this book to end! I want to know more of what happens!
- Her Fearful Symmetry by Audry Niffenegger. So, I adore Niffenegger's first novel, The Time Traveler's Wife. It asked you to make one leap of faith, that one of the main characters could come unhinged in time. Once you accepted that, the rest of the book flowed beautifully. Niffenegger's latest book asks you to make a leap of faith again, that ghosts exist. Unfortunately, I felt like there were still all sorts of twists and turns that came after that that defied logic (hard for someone as logical as myself to keep overlooking). Still, the story was terribly interesting and the characters fascinating. And I love her style of writing. So, I did not love this book as much as The Time Traveler's Wife, but at the same time, I keep finding myself thinking about this book even now that I've finished it. Hmm, mixed emotions, but overall, I did enjoy it quite a bit.
Just as I'm starting to feel recovered from that nasty cold of last week (lost my voice for all of Saturday and much of Sunday), I felt an emerging cold sore yesterday! Is there anything worse? I hate those suckers! As soon as I felt it, I busted out the Abreva, which hopefully will at least shorten the duration. Man. Maybe I should dress as a witch for Saturday night since my lip is going to be all scabby and disgusting by then.
No comments:
Post a Comment