Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Birthday Weekend

First ever race!


Passing the baton to the next generation


Brandon really wanted Chad to run alongside him for the fun run, so Parker and I were the cheering section

What was better, getting the medal at the finish or getting his own gatorade? I'm betting he was more excited about the Gatorade.

Awww yea. I came in 3rd overall and 2nd in my age group.

Have I mentioned how much I love youth soccer??!!


Yay, it was my birthday this weekend! The boys all spoiled me with cake and ice cream and a yummy Indian dinner out. And I ran a 10k race on Saturday, and Brandon did his first ever fun run! I think that was the best present I could have - Brandon running his first race and loving it.

Saturday, Brandon, accompanied by Chad, ran the mile fun run, and then all the boys went to Parker's soccer while I ran my race. It was ridiculously hot and humid during my race (in the mid-80's and sunny, although it eventually got up to 93 degrees - a bit much for late September, some would say). All I wanted to do was finish that race so that I wouldn't feel like barfing anymore - hate running in heat, humidity and no shade! In the afternoon, we went to a parade and block party - complete with carnival rides and fire trucks, lots of food and vendors, etc. It was really fun, although the boys were done by about 7:15pm and ready to go home to bed.

Which was actually fine, as Chad and I shared a bottle of wine to celebrate my birthday once we got them asleep.

For my actual birthday on Sunday, I told Chad I wanted to have a nice, relaxing morning. He took the kids bike riding and to play every conceivable sport in our backyard while I just sat around and read for a couple hours - so nice. And of course, Chad made me his usual delicious cake, and I invented my own peppermint ice cream recipe that turned out pretty darn awesome, if I do say so. We had Brandon's little league in the afternoon and then went out for our Indian dinner, and that was that! A lovely birthday with the fam. And Chad and I have an evening out to look forward to in another week - think we are going to do dinner and a movie.

We are a few weeks into the school year now, and I feel like we have finally figured out our routine. Parker is no longer following me around the house as soon as Brandon leaves - he's remembered how to play by himself again after being spoiled all summer with Brandon. The boys do miss their time together, and as soon as Brandon finishes his homework in the afternoon, the two them run upstairs to play, and I don't seem them again until dinner time. I actually feel bad when I schedule afternoon activities because then they don't get much time just the two of them. I really, really hope that they are able to maintain this closeness as they get older. Parker was a bit sad that some of his best friends weren't in his class this year, but we've been figuring out other ways to see them, and he's making new friends.

I'm still swimming/biking/running outside, although I know I'm on borrowed time! At least for swimming, I'll have to move to the pool in another 3 or 4 weeks. It's getting pretty cool in the water, but no body parts are going numb yet, so I got that going for me. I've been reading like a crazy woman lately. I reserved a bunch of books at the library at the end of the summer, and of course, they all came in at the same time. First I picked up six books, which I had two weeks to read, and then another eight came in! I think only three came in the time after that, so it's starting to slow down. At some point, I'll list them out because I wrote all the titles down. I think I liked about all of them, with a few standouts that I was really impressed by.

And now I have the pleasure of calling a credit-reporting agency and alerting them to a mistake on my credit that we noticed during our refinance. They mistakenly attributed someone else's credit card to my name... after having our mortgage company tell me a couple years ago that I filed for bankruptcy, I am getting a little sick of these screw-ups! Attention to detail, people!

No comments: