Sunday, July 12, 2009

My Tenth Triathlon

I had a great race today... another Olympic distance event of 1 mile swim / 24 mile bike / 6 mile run. It was slightly shorter than my last race and alot less hilly. Weather was lovely, too - kind of overcast and in the upper 60's to start and sunny and in the upper 70's to finish. I was pretty darn tired for the last mile or two of the run, but before that, I felt really good. I'm not nearly as exhausted right now as I was after the last race either, which I'll mostly chalk up to it's being a flatter course.

And the results are (drumroll, please)... 3rd in my age group and 11th female overall. I had the 5th best female run time, and the 9th best female bike time, so I was pretty psyched about that. I didn't bother to count up where I was amongst the women in the swim because I figured it would take too long to find everyone with a better time than me! Still, I enjoyed the swim, and isn't that what counts?

The boys were very good for the race (Chad tells me), and I got to pass them a few times since the bike was 4 loops of a 6 mile course. Always nice to see them cheering me on! We had to get them up around 5:15am to leave, but I was amazed at how energetic Brandon was all day! He snoozed for about 5 minutes in the car ride home and that was it. Parker on the other hand seemed to be exhausted all morning, so we once again didn't stick around for the awards ceremony. I did pick up my medal before I left though. Parker was asleep, literally, within 60 seconds of us getting in the car.

Chad got the boys up and dressed this morning, and he was so amused by how differently the boys reacted. Upon being woken, Brandon popped right up and said, "Oh, I was just about to get up anyway!" Then, he got himself dressed and walked downstairs to get in the car. Parker reacted a bit differently... he lay down on the floor with his blankie and kept saying over and over, "I'm tired." Chad had to carry him to the bathroom and then get him dressed. Pretty funny and not that different from how Chad and I react to getting up! I am a morning person and usually get right up with alot of energy... Chad not so much. But, he's good to go after a cup of coffee!

One other amusing anecdote... we got stuck in a little traffic jam on the way home. There was a small accident on the interstate, and one lane was shut down for a couple miles. It took us about 15 minutes to get through, so not so bad. But, the funny thing was watching what people in the cars around us were doing while we were crawling along! One guy was reading while driving - paper up on the steering wheel and he'd just flick his eyes to the road periodically. And I mean, we weren't at a standstill during this; we were moving slowly. Then, a few cars later, we saw a guy dusting his dashboard while driving! He had a duster with a long handle, and was dusting off behind the steering wheel and over the displays and such. Classic.

I'm looking forward to enjoying a much deserved morning off from exercising tomorrow... and hopefully sleeping in at least a bit!

No comments: