Awards ceremony gets the thumbs up from me, in homage to Brandon who is a frequent thumbs up giver
I had an Olympic distance triathlon on Sunday, at one of my favorite courses from last summer. I was really excited to get back there, and although the forecast looked really bad a few days beforehand, it cleared up in time for the race to start. And if you like hot, sunny and humid days for racing, you have been in luck around here this summer! But, the temps didn't bother me too much because this race just seemed so short compared to the half-ironman. And I was quite happy with the shorter distance, thank you very much.
Anyway, it was a smaller race, as most of the Olympic distance races tend to be... around 210 people with 65 of those being women. But, I still took 1st in my age group and was the 5th woman overall... felt really good to have those results! I had the 3rd best bike time, the 7th best run time and the 14th best swim time of all the women. So yea, my swim is still holding me back a little bit, but it has gotten MUCH better than it used to be. I am really enjoying the season and am already looking forward to my next race, which is 5 weeks away.
The kids and I are going to go into the city today and visit Chad and wander around for a bit. Our streak of 11 days in a row of swimming is on the line, but unless Chad takes the boys swimming after dinner, I think the streak ends today. We had a great time at the pool yesterday that was only marred for me by a vicious bee that came out of nowhere to assault me. I was really surprised by how much it hurt! I can't remember the last time I was stung, probably when I was a kid, but I was shocked by it. Brandon got stung last summer, and I remember feeling bad for him but thinking that he might be overreacting a bit. Now I know that he wasn't! I totally tried to play it off because I didn't want the kids to be anxious about bees while they were swimming, but it was hard to keep a normal face for the first few minutes. Stupid bee. My only comfort is that it paid with its life for its foolishness.
I've been having some bad luck with reading lately. I was reading this book on my Nook, Private Life by Jane Smiley. It's new this year, and I was borrowing it from the library. Now, when you borrow e-books from the library, they are "returned" after two weeks. But, I keep my Nook in "airplane mode" with the WIFI off to save the battery. So, usually, I can read library books for as many days as I want as long as I don't plug it into the computer. Anyway, I had a hard time getting into this book, so I was sort of catching on my magazines and ignoring it for a while there. Around when I finally started to really enjoy it, I went to plug it in to the wall socket to re-charge... and it "returned" the book. Whaaa? Re-charging it must have caused it to do some sort of system check and see that the book had expired. What a bummer. And since it's a new book, someone else already had both the e-copy and the hard copy out. I'm trying to remember the plot lines so that when I finally can get it again, I can hopefully pick up where it left off. So much for my trying to game the system. The next book I have on my Nook is the new Yann Martel book, "Beatrice & Virgil". He wrote "Life of Pi", which I really liked. But this new one it really strange and slow and just not to my taste. Oh, but I did read one really good book lately, "The Scent of Thunder and Lightning" by Nancy Pickard. It was engrossing and surprising and a really fun read. It was about a woman who lost both her parents to murder when she was a child, which doesn't scream "fun read", but it really was enjoyable.
Oh boy, the boys are in something of a mood today - gotta go see why Parker is crying. again.
Anyway, it was a smaller race, as most of the Olympic distance races tend to be... around 210 people with 65 of those being women. But, I still took 1st in my age group and was the 5th woman overall... felt really good to have those results! I had the 3rd best bike time, the 7th best run time and the 14th best swim time of all the women. So yea, my swim is still holding me back a little bit, but it has gotten MUCH better than it used to be. I am really enjoying the season and am already looking forward to my next race, which is 5 weeks away.
The kids and I are going to go into the city today and visit Chad and wander around for a bit. Our streak of 11 days in a row of swimming is on the line, but unless Chad takes the boys swimming after dinner, I think the streak ends today. We had a great time at the pool yesterday that was only marred for me by a vicious bee that came out of nowhere to assault me. I was really surprised by how much it hurt! I can't remember the last time I was stung, probably when I was a kid, but I was shocked by it. Brandon got stung last summer, and I remember feeling bad for him but thinking that he might be overreacting a bit. Now I know that he wasn't! I totally tried to play it off because I didn't want the kids to be anxious about bees while they were swimming, but it was hard to keep a normal face for the first few minutes. Stupid bee. My only comfort is that it paid with its life for its foolishness.
I've been having some bad luck with reading lately. I was reading this book on my Nook, Private Life by Jane Smiley. It's new this year, and I was borrowing it from the library. Now, when you borrow e-books from the library, they are "returned" after two weeks. But, I keep my Nook in "airplane mode" with the WIFI off to save the battery. So, usually, I can read library books for as many days as I want as long as I don't plug it into the computer. Anyway, I had a hard time getting into this book, so I was sort of catching on my magazines and ignoring it for a while there. Around when I finally started to really enjoy it, I went to plug it in to the wall socket to re-charge... and it "returned" the book. Whaaa? Re-charging it must have caused it to do some sort of system check and see that the book had expired. What a bummer. And since it's a new book, someone else already had both the e-copy and the hard copy out. I'm trying to remember the plot lines so that when I finally can get it again, I can hopefully pick up where it left off. So much for my trying to game the system. The next book I have on my Nook is the new Yann Martel book, "Beatrice & Virgil". He wrote "Life of Pi", which I really liked. But this new one it really strange and slow and just not to my taste. Oh, but I did read one really good book lately, "The Scent of Thunder and Lightning" by Nancy Pickard. It was engrossing and surprising and a really fun read. It was about a woman who lost both her parents to murder when she was a child, which doesn't scream "fun read", but it really was enjoyable.
Oh boy, the boys are in something of a mood today - gotta go see why Parker is crying. again.
1 comment:
Way to go, Beth!
Post a Comment