We had predictions by all the forecasters to get at least a foot of snow yesterday, starting around lunchtime. As a consequence, all the schools in the area moved to an early-release schedule, which means that Brandon didn't have any school at all. And that storm was a big old bust, my friends. So much anticipation, since everyone knew it was coming for days, and then it just rained for the first few hours of it. We ended up getting about 3 inches of snow, I would guess. Not sure if I'm disappointed or happy to have not gotten the big storm, but it was a bummer that Brandon had school canceled for such a little storm! Luckily, the pool was more on top of things and did not cancel swim lessons. Luckily, school was back to normal today, because both boys were exchanging valentine's, and I know they wouldn't have wanted to miss that.
My knee is feeling much, much better. I was able to do 8 fast miles on Monday, with almost no discomfort and then I did another 6 today and felt fine. So, I think I'm finally back on track!! Now I just have to be careful not to add too much mileage, too quickly. My training is going really well - I feel really good. I am starting to get to that point in the winter when the allure of the gym is starting to fade though. It's a novelty when I join each year, and I then I slowly start to yearn for fresh air and open waters again. I figure that in a few weeks, I'll be able to start doing part of my cycling and running outdoors again. Boy, the winter goes by much faster now that the boys are in school, and I'm not scrounging around for indoor activities 5 days a week!
Speaking of school, both boys got their report cards this week - I am so proud of them!! The comments that each of their teachers wrote were so thoughtful and complimentary, and it just made me really proud that they are my sons. I am also relieved that they are both thriving. I loved school, and I think I would be crushed if my kids didn't love it, too. Not that they have to love it every day because I definitely remember that the weeks could drag sometimes in middle & high school. Anyway, Parker's report card, we just got to keep, but Brandon's we had to sign and send back. Signing his report card was definitely one of those "I'm a Mom" moments for me - it just didn't feel that long ago to me that I was having my Mom sign mine! It's like there's part of me that feels, "Am I really grown-up enough to be signing someone's report card??"
Work's been busy for Chad, but that seems to be the typical state of affairs these days. The kids have really been protective of their time with him lately. Parker gets upset if Chad is gone when he gets up in the morning, which he typically is, and Brandon just wants more playtime with Dad in general. He told me the other day, "Why is Daddy always working? I wish he could play with me instead." So cute. But, for the most part, Chad is always able to get home for dinner and to put them in bed, even if he has to work again afterwards. Plus, he gives them a lot of attention on the weekends. It's nice for me that they are yearning for him so much because there was a long stretch there where the boys always seemed to want me primarily, especially Brandon. I feel like things are much more balanced now.
I had five books come off the reserve list in the library in the space of two days last week!! So, I've been reading alot. I should be able to finish all five in the two weeks though. Luckily, there hasn't been much good TV on to distract me at night. Anyway, since my last post, I've read:
- Last Night in Twisted River - John Irving. The first 20 pages of this book were sloooow, which is very uncharacteristic of an Irving novel! So, I hung in there and it quickly picked up. I liked this book alot - very clever and engaging, and I liked that almost all of it took place in New England. He always writes the most memorable characters.
- Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen. Maybe you've heard of this one? This one came loaded on my Nook, and so I just started reading it on whim one day. What an amazing book - I was absolutely enthralled, even though I've read it several times before. I read almost the entire thing in one sitting - knew what was going to happen, but couldn't wait to see it play out. This book just stands the test of time.
- Sacred Hearts - Sarah Dunant. Loved this one. Historical fiction set in a Italian convent in the early 1600's. I thought it was fascinating the different ways that the many women ended up in a convent, most of them against their will. A fun and very interesting book.
- No less than Victory - Jeff Shaara. This was the 3rd in his trilogy of WWII. I've also read his series' on the Civil War and Revolutionary War, so I'm a big fan of his. Fascinating look at the last year of WWII on the European front. It's all historically accurate, but the author creates most of the dialogue and emotions.
- The 13th Tale - Diane Setterfield. This was another fun and interesting read. The main character is engaged to write a biography of a famously reclusive and private author. She is the first to learn the true story of the author's past. Books are almost a character of their own in this book, since most of the characters are so passionate about them. My kind of people
No comments:
Post a Comment