Saturday, November 14, 2009

I got a golden ticket!

My little man's kindergarten school picture

So windy on our hike, that you can see waves turning on the pond

Navigating the boardwalk over the bog

Not quite the California redwoods, but still cool


I felt like Charley Bucket finding a Willy Wonka golden ticket when I finally got Brandon and Parker in for their first H1N1 dose this week! And not only did I get them in, but they both got the mist, which was a big hit. Hard to get them to go back to a shot after the ease of the mist! The way that my pediatrician handles distributing the vaccine is that they send an email that goes a little something like this... "the first 180 parents of healthly 2 and 3 year olds to respond to this email get an appointment". So, of course, I was compulsively checking my email trying to get an appointment. One time, I even responded within the first hour and didn't get an appointment. I just can't compete with those moms that have Blackberrys constantly feeding them email wherever they are. Anyway, I eventually got an appt for just Parker, and I called a couple days before to see if there was any chance Brandon could get one while we were there. The nurse told me that if they had extra, he could. Of course, they had no record of Brandon having an appointment when I arrived, so I just dropped the nurse's name and said that she was supposed to add him, which wasn't technically true but sort of close. And he got one. Unfortunately, for kids under 10, they need two doses for any sort of protection, so I'll have to start bugging my pediatrician on Monday to let me make an appointment for a few weeks from now. I so wish Chad and I could get one, too! Maybe in a few weeks there will be enough.

The top photo is Brandon's school picture... could he be any cuter? Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa for the sweet orange shirt, too. It's Brandon's favorite.

The other pictures are from our Veteran's Day extravaganza of fun. Chad and the boys didn't have school, so we had a great day together! I went for a bike ride first thing in the morning (hill repeats - whooboy was it tiring), and it was lovely and sunny and in the 50's. Over breakfast afterwards, it was so beautiful looking outside that we decided to go hiking. Somehow in the hour it took us to shower and get the kids ready to go, the clouds filled in and the wind picked up dramatically. What the??!! Luckily, we threw the winter coats and hats in the car, and boy did we need them. The first part of the hike was really exposed, and the wind was just whipping through us. Once we got deeper in the forest, it was pretty nice though. We tried to walk out on this crazy boardwalk over a bog, but had to turn around after a few minutes. The boardwalk was literally a series of 12 inch wide planks that were chained together. Unfortunately, when you stepped down on them, they sank down under the water and your shoes got drenched. The kids were okay because their weight didn't push them down much, but Chad's feet were soaked. So, after a few minutes, we turned around and decided to try again one day that all four of us have rain boots on. Which will be never. Anyway, it was a fun adventure! Chad got to go to the boy's swim lessons in the afternoon that day, and then we went out for mexican for dinner. It was such a treat to have a day in the middle of the week together!

For some reason, I am super excited for Christmas this year. The boys are old enough to be anticipating it already, and I have some gifts ideas for them that I think they'll really like (hint: think legos). Usually, I try to not do any Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving because if I start too early, I tend to end up buying more than I intended. It's good to have a couple things still to pick up the week of Christmas because I'm just so excited by then that I actually want to shop. But, this year, I'll already ordered a few things for the boys online. I just couldn't resist. Christmas is my favorite time of the year!

I made the best dinner last night with a new recipe. I'm so proud. I made chicken saag (indian style chicken with spinach), basmati rice, and homemade naan bread. Everyone liked it - yay! I always think indian food is one of the harder styles to cook at home, but this recipe was a big hit. I can't wait to have the leftovers for lunch. And speaking of food, there's a request on the floor for blueberry muffins for breakfast. Time to cook some more!

No comments: